Friday, June 26, 2009

Newsflash: New BBC Comedy Not Worst Thing Ever

Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle, but I was faintly impressed with Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire (last night, BBC2). I think I imagined a grim cross between My Family, Maid Marian and pantomime desperately trying to be Blackadder, so the realisation that it was actually a moderately watchable comedy was a pleasant surprise.

Sean Maguire, who I'd previously only seen in Eastenders and Grange Hill proves to be a strong lead and excellent comic actor, in the vein of a less wacky Ben Stiller. India de Beaufort proved to be very very attractive and, despite some obvious jokes and fairly heavy handed innuendo, the script seemed to be in reasonable shape too. I know, me neither! But I saw it with my own eyes. Incredible.

So well done BBC for making a BBC1 prime time comedy series that is not absolutely appalling. And they say standards have dropped!

P.S. While Kröd Mändoon may not be achingly bad, it certainly isn't good. We're not talking Arrested Development here. Nor, in terms of entertainment value, are we talking The Apprentice. Just to be clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin